Comfy for everyday but always fashionable to stand out. You don’t have to be super cool and show it, you have to pretend like you don’t care (1st rule), as: “I simply put on the first things I found out in my closet this morning” after 2 hours of digging in.
- t-shirt (short or long sleeves) + hoodies/jumpers/sweaters
- skirts are not allowed, thinking about it now it feels so weird but in all honesty, Italian high school are just made of teen girls wearing jeans and jeans everyday (2nd rule) – I’ve seen a few time girls trying on a skirt and all the time they were categorized as losers (this in small towns, in big cities as Rome & Milan they are more open-minded, so don’t worry). Now is the skinny jeans era: both high waisted and low waisted. Any colors: black + blue + autumn-y shades for winter and more creamy pastel colors for spring term.
- If you are not a jeans girl, go for LEGGINGS, any kind. The cool one right now are the tribal prints one
- Shoes. Yes: sneakers/trainers aka Nike are back + Vans (I prefer Keeds and Victoria) + Converse + biker boots + Timberland + Dr.Martens, ballerinas + UGG (when is super cold). Absolutely no heels, of any kind or Hunters.
- No bags: backpack is absolutely mandatory, Italian books are pretty heavy, they are massive
- Coat everyday depending on the season, nowadays parka is a good mix between utility and style
- No fur
- Scarf: big big big . Mostly of the time people wear the scarf over the coat in order to be seen.
- Hats (preferably not in class if you’re not a guy): beanie for winter / baseball hat for summer if you’re that kind of girl (I was!!)
- Sunglasses: always!! (: – go for classics, Raybans are definitely a lifetime investment
- MAKE UP: invisible, you don’t wanna look like a panda (Jenny from Gossip Girl)
- HAIR: ponytail, braids or simply down
- Jewelry: it’s up to you, try not to overdo + piercings it’s okay if you haven’t 10 in your eyebrows (but ask your professors first)
Cool brands for Italian Teens are:
(it was better years ago when they just started though. Anyway it’s an Italian brand really big in the US, but the quality is completely different. I talk for experience, the Italian merch is so much better)
- Almost the same for jeans and leggings
- Avoid the hood jumper
- Yes to skirts or shorts with tights under, please especially in winter
- Big cosy jumpers or knitwear
- Knit cardigans
- Dresses with Peter Pan collars, they are slowly coming to Italy too
- Skater dress, skater skirts, we are into a skate mania right now
- Jeans jacket + leather jacket
- Leather pants
- Bags: big shopping bags, or any kind of bags actually (:
- Shoes: anything, also wedges if you feel comfortable
- Make-up: up to you, but remember try not to scare people, a little bit of eyeliner is a good idea, Geordie shore style’s not! A simple tip is if you concentrate all your efforts on the eyes, your lipstick should be nude, natural or rose and viceversa (think Taylor Swift’s red lips with very simple eyeliner).
- Hair: as you prefer<3
- Yes, yes to scarves, hats, gloves, coats.
- dresses ANYTHING
- skirts, I recommend high waisted skirts (colorful), that looks good on every body shapes. Leather skirt are also very nice
- long fancy knitwear with nice tights, maybe with some pattern if the knitwear is simple
- if you’re style is more rocky: ripped jeans or ripped shorts with some logo t-shirt/tank top/sweater
- careful with strass and sparkling items, one piece of clothes is enough
- jeans are fine if they’re black
- clutches or small bags
- no backpacks even the cool ones (only exception: the Mulberry Cara’s bag hihi(: )
- finally heels or chelsea boots or anything, except trainers
D O N T ‘ S E V E R :
Patterns on Patters
Denim on Denim
Flowers in your Head